This route is for exceptionally talented individuals in specific fields, who wish to work in the UK. These individuals are those who are already internationally recognised at the highest level as world leaders in their particular field, or who have already demonstrated exceptional promise and are likely to become world leaders in their particular area.
The fields in which individuals can show their talents exist are limited to science, the humanities, engineering, the arts and digital technology.
“We recognise that such talented individuals should have few restrictions on their economic activity once here. If you qualify, the route allows you to work and change employers, or to be self-employed, without the need for further authorisation or to be sponsored for employment in a specific post.” Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) Guidance
Applications under Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) can be made by leaders in science, humanities, engineering, medicine, digital technology or the arts. Applicants must firstly be endorsed by a Home Office recognised body as either a recognised leader (exceptional talent) or an emerging leader (exceptional promise). There are only 2000 places available each year under the scheme.
Applications must be endorsed by a “competent body” such as:
- Arts Council England – for arts and culture applications
- The British Academy – for humanities and social science applications
- The Royal Society – for natural sciences and medical science research applications
- The Royal Academy of Engineering – for engineering applications
- Tech City UK – for digital technology applications