Area of expertise/speciality:
Ben Sheldrick is Managing Partner and Head of Business Immigration at Magrath LLP Solicitors. He is also a Director of Magrath Global (Singapore), which caters to an extensive corporate client base in the Asia Pacific region.
He has been recognised for many years as a leading UK Immigration expert by the legal community and he is ranked for his expertise in Immigration Law by the main professional directories; Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners. He is also appears in Legal Experts (published by Legal Business) and he is rated by Super Lawyers and Global Law Experts.
Ben has acted as immigration counsel to many household name multinational companies. In particular, he has worked for a number of major City institutions operating within the financial services sector in London. He has spoken on numerous occasions to the International Mobility Banking roundtable and other leading professional bodies.
He has experience in strategic immigration planning for large organisations and he assists international assignment departments and human resource managers in developing compliance and Legal Right to Work (“LRTW”) policies. This work has become increasingly important given the emphasis on devolved responsibility within current UK Tier 2 sponsorship policy.
Ben contributed to the development of the Points Based System (“PBS”) by organising and chairing stakeholder meetings with officials from UK Visas and Immigration (“UKVI”, formerly known as UK Border Agency) as well as directors of PBS policy. He hosts seminars annually with representatives of UKVI and stakeholders from the business community to discuss developments in Immigration Law as they impact upon business and high net worth individuals and entrepreneurs.
He is an active member of the International Bar Association (“IBA”) immigration committee and he has spoken at a number of their conferences, both in the UK and around the world. Magrath LLP is one of the main sponsors of the biennial IBA Immigration Conference held in London.
Ben is Co-Editor of the Corporate Immigration Review, an annual publication that identifies trends in Global Immigration Law issues attracting contributions from leading immigration and nationality practitioners around the world.
Ben and his team work closely with British American Business Inc (“BAB”) the transatlantic business organisation dedicated to helping companies connect and build their business on both sides of the Atlantic. Magrath LLP hosts two business immigration conferences with BAB every year where they attract well known thinkers and policy stakeholders in the immigration field. Past speakers have included the Minister of State for Immigration, the Chairman of Parliamentary Home Affairs Select Committee and the Consul General of the US Embassy in London.
- 2000 Partner – Immigration Department
- 2000 Magrath LLP
- 1998 – 2000 DJ Webb & Co (Immigration & Nationality Solicitors)
- 1995 – 1998 Enfield Chambers (Barristers Chambers)
- 1994 – 1995 6 Gray’s Inn Square (Barristers Chambers)
- 1989 – 1991 Sorbonne University Paris (lecteur)
He has been closely involved with the Immigration Law Practitioner Association (“ILPA”) for many years and he has taught a number of their training courses. He is also an Associate Member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (“AILA”) and he attends the AILA global immigration forum annually.
Ben is particularly interested in the development of immigration policy and the way successive UK governments have approached the conflict between the need to attract talent and investment from overseas and the political difficulties resulting from a popular perception of the negative impact of mass migration and weak immigration controls.
Ben and his team act as technical immigration partners to Expat-Academy, a leading industry forum for global mobility professionals. This year he will present a series of Essential Briefings on Immigration Law and his team will host a number of training sessions on global mobility issues for multinational companies.
He also acts as technical partner to the RES Forum, which was created in 2006 as an independent community for international HR and mobility professionals and is now the largest and most active network specialising in global mobility policy, survey data, modelling and analytics. Magrath LLP has hosted events for RES Forum in London and Singapore and this year will host the launch of their annual report (Key Trends in Global Mobility).
Ben is a member of the Union Internationale des Avocats and the Investment Migration Council.
Ben was called to the Bar in 1994 and worked as a specialist immigration barrister for a number of years before joining the solicitor profession and becoming a partner at Magrath LLP in 2000. At the Bar he focused on complex immigration appeals as well as high court applications for Judicial Review of decisions of the Secretary of State for the Home Department. He has taken cases to the Court of Appeal and the European Court of Justice.
He also has a first-class degree in French Literature from London University.
Recent Notable Experience
- Working with UK Border Agency to develop strategic changes to Tier 1 of the points based system and, in particular, the provisions relating to entrepreneurs and investors seeking to enter the UK and contribute to the British economy.
- Advising global mobility departments of major multi-nationals in developing strategic immigration policy, recruitment strategies, issues in respect of resident labour market testing.
- Working with a diverse range of clients to manage their sponsor needs in the light of the imposition of the interim caps and annual quotas.
- Ben also works on complex individual immigration matters including regularisation of immigration status for the parent of a British child with particular reference to the Supreme Court decision in ZH(Tanzania) and Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
- Ben also worked on the cases of Barkoci and Malik (cC-28/99) before the European Court of Justice on the rights of self-employed central and eastern European country citizens in EU member states under the Europe agreements.
Ben enjoys many sports and has recently completed the London marathon. He obtained a degree in French Language and Literature and enjoys escaping to France whenever he can.