Spotlight on EMEA
In our Spotlight on EMEA series we round up the latest developments from across the EMEA region. In this post we look at Finland’s increased financial requirement for Schengen Visa applicants.
Effective 1 January 2024, Finland has increased the daily financial requirement for short-stay visitors to EUR 50 per day of stay (previously EUR 30). This financial requirement applies to visits of no more than 90 days. The financial requirement is raised as it was falling short of the current cost of living in Finland.
In another move to apply the EU’s Visa Code and also effective as of 1 January 2024, Finland has introduced a proof of sponsorship and/or accommodation form, which allows visa applicants to finance their visit using the funds of the inviting party. This applies Article 14.4 of the EU’s Visa Code.
With the introduction of the proof of sponsorship, the fact that a Finnish citizen or a person residing in Finland with a residence permit undertakes to finance the travel of the visa applicant may be taken into account in the visa consideration process. The inviting party is required to complete a proof of sponsorship form to be attached to the visa application.
Finland: Increased processing fees
The key changes are as follows:
- The processing fees for permanent residence permits will be different depending on whether you apply online or submit a paper application. The fee for an online application for a permanent residence permit will be EUR 220. The processing fee for a paper application will be EUR 270. Prior to the change the fee was EUR 160 for both paper and online applications.
- The processing fee for a citizenship application submitted online will be EUR 490. Previously, the fee was EUR 460.
- The processing fee for an online application for a first residence permit for an employed person will be EUR 540. Previously, the fee was EUR 490.
- The processing fee for an online application for an extended permit will be EUR 170. Previously, the fee was EUR 160.
- The fee for renewing a residence permit card will be different depending on whether you submit the application online in advance or apply for a new card at a service point without having filled in an application form beforehand. The processing fee for an online application will be EUR 60. Without an online application, the processing fee will be EUR 75. Previously, the fee was EUR 54 in both cases.