Area of Expertise
Tony is a consultant in Magrath’s Employment Department.
He has provided practical advice and guidance to both employers and employees covering a wide range of employment law issues, including how to address, respond to, or otherwise deal with: (i) ‘tricky’ situations in the workplace and/or with ‘difficult’ employers or employees (as the case may be); (ii) behavioural, performance and disciplinary matters; (iii) actual or proposed changes within the workplace (including by way of reorganisations, restructuring, TUPE and/or redundancy); (iv) an array of actual or potential contractual and/or statutory-based claims
Tony also undertakes drafting and auditing of employment contacts, employment handbooks and other employment related materials; drafting and advising on disciplinary, grievance and other ‘core procedures’; drafting appropriate compliance documentation; drafting and advising on Settlement Agreements and other forms of settlement and dispute resolution.
Where appropriate or necessary Tony will assist clients bring or defend claims in an employment tribunal or the civil courts, including claims for unfair dismissal, wrongful dismissal, breach of contract; discrimination, in-service and post termination restraints (restrictive covenants), and breach of statutory employment rights.
- 1973 – 1976 Law Degree, University of Kent;
- 1977 – 1981 Employment Rights adviser Harlesden Advice Centre;
- 1981 – 1982 Law Society Legal Practice Course, City of London University, Moorgate.
- 1982 – 1987 Hammersmith Law Centre, Employment, Immigration, Housing (Articles – qualified as a Solicitor, January 1985);
- 1986 – 1989 Part-Time law lecturer ACCA/ICMA evening courses (Thames Valley University, Ealing);
- 1987 – 1992 Partner in William Sturges solicitors, offices St James’s Park and Ealing (Employment, business law and litigation);
- 1992 – 2000 Partner Mizler Wright Solicitors (Employment, professional negligence, business law, education law);
- 1997 – 2002 Part-Time Asylum and Immigration Judge – Hatton Cross;
- 2000 – 2015 Principal/Sole Practitioner A.E. Mizler & Co Solicitors (Employment);
- April 2015 – Consultant Solicitor, Magrath LLP, Employment Department.
Notable Recent Experiences
• Drafting detailed bespoke contractual documentation and policy documents for a large multi-site retail concession operator, operating throughout the UK. The contracts and policy documents were designed to be appropriate to the separate grades and types of employee covered (and the range of permutations within the same) while at the same time taking into account and addressing the administrative requirements and resources of a relatively small HR function.
• Advising in connection with the employment issues arising on a proposed merger of two separate professional partnerships and also drafting and preparing TUPE documentation and providing ongoing advice and draft documentation addressing a range of issues raised by the employees of the separate partnerships.
• Representing and advising a senior financial sector employee who was summarily dismissed without good cause – negotiating a substantial settlement without the need to issue tribunal proceedings.
• Providing detailed advice, assistance and guidance to an employer faced with a series of grievances by several employees about the workplace conduct of another employee (“X”). Advice included guidance as to the appropriate procedures to be followed in connection with the investigation and clarification of the various grievances raised by individual co-workers relating to X and subsequent formal disciplinary proceedings against X. Thereafter, successfully defending a constructive dismissal claim brought by X in an employment tribunal.
Reading, from biographies and serious literature to ‘pulp fiction’; Films (including black and white movies and world cinema); Jazz, classical and other music; Art (eclectic tastes); Travel; Fitness training; Countryside/Coastal walks; Football; Spending quality time with family and friends. Tony is married and has two adult sons.